Lunar New Year Celebration
Hosted by CAFAM and the USM Confucius Institute, featuring various activities, traditional food, and spectacular performances by Chinese Folk Art Workshop of Boston and local artists.
On Saturday, February 1st The Chinese & American Friendship Association of Maine (CAFAM) and the University of Southern Maine Confucius Institute will ring in the ‘Year of the Rat’ at the Westbrook Performing Arts Center, 471 Stroudwater Street in Westbrook.
More details will follow but here are some highlights of the very full day (10a.m.-3p.m.) of performances and activities. At 11:30 a.m. there will be a special performance by nationally recognized Chinese Folk Art Workshop, the only touring performance group of its kind in the Greater Boston area. Their mission is to increase awareness of Chinese culture and heritage through sharing their talents in a traditional performance and visual arts experience. The beauty, sights and sounds of their performance will surely be breathtaking!
Workshops and Speakers:
- 10:30 a.m.
- Qigong & Tai Chi for 2020 with Karen Morency
- So You Think You Know China? Impressions A-Z from a Recent Fulbright. with Jeff Thaler
- Unpacking the Mystery of Spoken and Written Chinese with Viveca Kwan
- Ribbon Dance Demonstration with Lilliana Frantz, Wren Auld-Brokish and Friends
- 12:30 p.m.
- Self-Healing for Stress Reduction with Karen Morency
- Wisdom and Stupidity in Early China with Jim Behuniak
- 1:00 p.m.
- Acupuncture and Healing Arts with Chris Haskell
- 1:30 p.m.
- The United States and China: Can This Relationship Be Saved? with Joe McDonnell
- Tea Workshop and Tasting (with deluxe, rare teas) with Michael Connelly
Plus: Lion dances, martial arts, cultural crafts, vendors and exhibitors, and delicious Chinese food… this is an event not to be missed!
Mandarin Chinese Roundtables
Come and partake in fun and informal conversations in Mandarin. These Roundtables are open to all interested and to all levels of Mandarin Chinese. Located at The Language Exchange, 75 Market Street, Suite 305 (3rd floor) in downtown Portland.
- Wednesday, January 8, 2019 – 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 22, 2019 – 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.