Film Festival at Portland Museum of Art
PMA Films and the Chinese American Friendship Association of Maine are proud to present a weekend featuring some of the most celebrated arthouse films from China in a rare chance to see them on a big screen. The movies are Not Rated. Various running times. In Chinese and other languages with subtitles.
- “Long Day’s Journey into Night” by Bi Gan Friday, January 17th at 2:00 PM
- “Shadow” by Zhang Yimou Friday, January 17th at 6:00 PM
- “Ash is Purest White” by Jia Zhang-Ke Saturday, January 18th at 2:00 PM
- “One Child Nation” by Nanfu Wang & Jialing Zhang Sunday, January 19th at 2:00 PM
“Will China Save the Planet?” by Barbara Finamore
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at the University of Southern Maine, Portland Campus
CAFAM will co-host with the Maine World Affairs Council for a talk by Barbara Finamore about her book, “Will China Save the Planet?, on China’s role in combating climate change. More details soon!
Art by Grace Chen, an Award-Winning Artist from Taiwan
Invited by MECA as a guest speaker and visiting artist. Grace Chen’s exhibit is on display from November 1 – 15th, 2019 @ MECA Opening Reception this Friday, November 1st from 5-7pm during First Walk
World of Opera @ USM
The USM School of Music and Confucius Institute welcome a troupe of professional actors and musicians to give a performance of Chinese opera. The program will feature Beijing opera excerpts, including movement and music, traditional Chinese instruments, and lively Chinese folk songs. All performers are trained by China’s foremost institution on Chinese opera art, The National Academy of Chinese Theatre Arts, the partner institution of the Confucius Institute of Chinese Opera at Binghamton University, State University of New York.
Sponsored by the Confucius Institute at USM
Free, open to the public, tickets not required.Westbrook Performing Arts Center, 471 Stroudwater Street, Westbrook
Performance: October 5, 8:00 PM, Westbrook Performing Arts Center
Masterclasses: October 6, 10:00 AM, Corthell Hall, USM Gorhamhttps://usm.maine.edu/confucius/opera
CAFAM 2019 Moon Festival Potluck Dinner
CAFAM Annual Summer Picnic in the Park – 2019
CAFAM will be holding its annual summer pot luck picnic on Saturday, June 22nd, at Winslow Park in Freeport. Winslow Park is on the water with a beach and has plenty of room to fly kites and enjoy outdoor play. This is a wonderful opportunity to meet and enjoy time with other CAFAM members and friends. CAFAM would love to have new people join us as well. Admission to Winslow Park will be paid by CAFAM, so just let the people at the gate know that you’re there for the pot luck picnic. We will have a sheltered picnic area. Please bring food to share—Chinese food or any kind of picnic food is welcome! We will supply beverages and paper goods.
Slanted: How An Asian American Troublemaker took on the Supreme Court – 2019 at SPACE Gallery in Portland, Maine
SPACE and CAFAM presents: A performance by The Slants and a discussion with Simon Tam. Simon is founder and bassist of The Slants, often credited as the world’s first and only all-Asian American dance rock band but he’s probably best known for winning a landmark civil rights case.
The US Patent & Trademark office had originally barred the band from registering what it noted was a culturally disparaging name, citing the Lanham Act which prohibits any trademark that could “disparage…or bring… into contempt or disrepute any persons, living or dead.” The band insisted that in naming their group The Slants it was an act of reclaiming a slur, and took their lawsuit against the office’s ruling all the way to the Supreme Court.
Now debuting a new memoir titled Slanted: How an Asian American Troublemaker Took on the Supreme Court, he’ll speak with the audience in a discussion moderated by Cindy Han of the Chinese & American Friendship Association of Maine. The event will also feature music from The Slants, as well as two local high school performers to open the evening, Qifeng (Eric) Ruan and Boyu (Eason) Chen.
Simon Tam is an author, musician, activist, and self-proclaimed troublemaker. He approaches activism through the arts and encourages people to challenge their perceptions of how we connect with others we normally don’t get along with. In 2017, he unanimously won a landmark trademark case at the U.S Supreme Court helping to expand civil liberties and freedom of expression for marginalized groups. His work has been highlighted in over 3,000 media features across over 150 countries, including Rolling Stone, TIME, NPR, BBC and the New York Times.
CAFAM Film Screening At SPACE Gallery: MAINELAND
CAFAM is pleased to announce an upcoming film screening in collaboration with SPACE Gallery. Please see details below:
- Sunday, January 7th 2019, 7:00pm
- SPACE Gallery, 538 Congress St, Portland
- (207) 828.5600
- Doors open at 6:30pm, Film begins at 7:00pm
- Admission $8, $6 for SPACE Members and Students w/ ID
Filmed over three years in China and the U.S., MAINELAND is a multi-layered coming-of-age tale that follows two affluent and cosmopolitan teenagers as they settle into a boarding school in blue-collar rural Maine. Part of the enormous wave of “parachute students” from China enrolling in U.S. private schools, bubbly, fun-loving Stella and introspective Harry come seeking a Western-style education, escape from the dreaded Chinese college entrance exam, and the promise of a Hollywood-style U.S. high school experience. As Stella and Harry’s fuzzy visions of the American dream slowly gain more clarity, they ruminate on their experiences of alienation, culture clash, and personal identity, sharing new understandings and poignant discourses on home and country.
“Try Your Hand” Calligraphy Celebration
- Saturday, September 9, 2017; 10am-1pm
- Congress Square Park, Portland
- Admission is free
Friends of Congress Square Park will host an event to celebrate calligraphy styles and traditions from around the world. Calligraphers from many countries, including China, will demonstrate their skills, inviting people to try the different styles.
CAFAM Lecture Series Welcomes Chinese Contemporary Artist: Haitao Pang
- University of Southern Maine, Luther Bonney Hall, Rm 100
- Thursday, March 30, 2017, 7 pm to 8 pm
The event is free to the public. Chinese snacks will be provided. This lecture is sponsored by Chinese & American Friendship Association of Maine (CAFAM)
2016 Moon Festival Event
Celebrate the full autumn moon with CAFAM on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016; 4:30 – 7 pm. Bring a potluck dish to share, and enjoy food, mooncakes, performances, crafts and more!
CAFAM welcomes the Year of the Monkey – 2016
- Chinese New Year Celebration
- February 6, 2016
- Westbrook Performing Arts Center, Westbrook, Maine
Join us for food, dance and music performances, arts & crafts, demonstrations & workshops and much more!
Chinese New Year Celebration 2013
- Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 10:00 am
- Westbrook Performing Arts Center and Middle School
- 471 Stroudwater Street, Westbrook
- More information
Mid-Autumn Moon Festival Potluck and Celebration – 2012
- Saturday, September 29, 2012, starting at 4:00 PM
- Woodfords Church, 202 Woodford Street, Portland ME
- Potluck dinner (bring a dish to share)
- Moon cake tasting
- Songs and poems with “moon” theme (performers of all ages welcome)
- Large gym area for kids to play
Chinese New Year Celebration – 2012
- Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 10:30am
- Join us at our *FANTASTIC NEW LOCATION*
- Westbrook Middle School, 471 Stroudwater Street, Westbrook, ME
- More information
Mid-autumn Moon Festival Potluck – 2011
- September 17, 2011, 5:00-7:30PM
- Woodfords Church, 202 Woodford Street, Portland, ME
- Potluck dinner (Please bring a dish to share)
- Moon cake tasting
- Guzheng music *LIVE*, songs and poems with a moon theme (performers of all ages welcome)
- Large gym area for kids to play
US China People’s Friendship Association – 2011
Portland Sea Dogs Game – 2011
- Sea Dogs vs. New Britain Rock Cats – July 15, 2011
- Tickets SOLD OUT! 3 rows behind the home plate!
- For tickets, send check made out to “CAFAM” to Gary Libby, PO Box 7227, Portland ME 04112.
- Tickets are $7 each (children and adult)
Annual Meeting and Get Together – 2011
- Saturday, June 11, 2011 from 3:30 pm to 7:30 pm.
- Woodford’s Church, 202 Woodfords Street, Portland, Maine
- Everyone is welcome to attend
CAFAM Chinese School – Spring 2011
- Saturdays until April 30 (except April 16 and 23) 9:30
Chinese New Year Celebration – 2011
- Saturday, February 5, 2011 at 10:30am
- Catherine McAuley High School, Portland, ME
Mid-autumn Moon Festival Potluck – 2010
- Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 5:00pm
- Woodford’s Congregational Church, Portland, ME
CAFAM Night at the Sea Dogs – 2010
- Friday, July 23, 2010 at 7:00pm
- Hadlock Field, Park Avenue, Portland, ME
Chinese New Year Festival – 2010
- Saturday, February 6, 2010 at 10:30am
- Catherine McAuley High School, Portland ME